Allowing the user to select sorting and filtering?

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:02 AM
Hi again,

I'm wondering if you are able and willing to provide me with a few pointers on how I can achieve "dynamic" alteration of the content in this web part.

I'd like the user to be able to set (some) filters and sort order. I haven't found and "obvious" out-of-the-box way to do it so far, but I'm so far thinking along these lines:

I make column-header-menus similar to the ones found in other lists (ie. Document Library) where the user can choose a sorting direction on a column. Then I think it might be possible during some pre-load-event function to read the url/GET data and adjust the query using the QueryOverride the web part will have inherited from the ContentQuery class.

I'm also thinking about a similar implementation with filtering, ie. reading GET data from the URL and adjusting the query.

For this I think I need:

1. To be able to read GET data from the URL, I'm still fresh on MS programming, so can anyone tell how I can do this the easy way?

2. CAML-query-building code, this shouldn't be impossible, and I also think there are many code snippets out there that can help.

3. And some other "minor" details, that I'll hopefully will figure out. For example, what is the best way to generate a form in a web part etc.

You seem like you know your stuff, ishaisagi, so if you have any pointers to what might be my best options, or sources where I can find that information, I'd appreciate it a lot!
Nov 5, 2007 at 9:51 AM
Have you looked at the DataView Webpart? That one allows filtering/sorting out of the box (but you have to add data sources manually).
Nov 11, 2007 at 4:07 PM
ishaisagi, I am in the same quandary as devx above. My issue is that I have created a (WSS 3.0) survey, and want to give users the ability to do "natural-language-Outlook-rule-filter-like" or "Excel-pivot-table-like" interface to the results of the sharepoint survey, but it appears to me that a survey type in WSS / MOSS either never got completely "finished" by the developers of the Web Part, so that the results look like a standard List with standard Views; or, "by design" the survey object is intended to be "Write-mostly" and they are doing undocumented or poorly documented things in the summary.aspx application.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2007 at 1:42 AM
Almoe,
As Magganpice suggested, I recommend you look at the dataview web part, or at third party web parts (kwizcom have a web part to display survey results). The current functionality of the content query web part has nothing to do with what you are looking for.

almoendale wrote:
ishaisagi, I am in the same quandary as devx above. My issue is that I have created a (WSS 3.0) survey, and want to give users the ability to do "natural-language-Outlook-rule-filter-like" or "Excel-pivot-table-like" interface to the results of the sharepoint survey, but it appears to me that a survey type in WSS / MOSS either never got completely "finished" by the developers of the Web Part, so that the results look like a standard List with standard Views; or, "by design" the survey object is intended to be "Write-mostly" and they are doing undocumented or poorly documented things in the summary.aspx application.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.